4/28/2014

Sometimes the smallest things can make you happy.

When it comes to taking care of house plants, I've been a disaster my whole life. I think I've killed every single plant I've ever tried to take care of. We - me and plants - probably developed some kind of mutual resentment so I wasn't even overtly sad when I had to throw out another orchid because it had died. They probably weren't overtly sad either when they left the building. Feelings were mutual.

Until.

My uncle paid my mum a surprise visit sometime in the beginning of December, just a few days before she was taken to hospital. And he brought this big and beautiful poinsettia with him. After mum left and especially after she passed away I was the one who had to start taking care of the plants in the house, including this poinsettia. And for the first time in my life I was DESPERATE about keeping a plant alive. I got really worried when a leaf dried and fell, I made sure I watered it often enough, I even bought some fertiliser because I needed I needed I needed this plant to survive. But my main strategy has been staring. I stare at the plant every single day, sometimes with a concerned and sometimes with a stern expression on my face. (Girl Who Stares at Plants) And it works, I think the poinsettia just doesn't dare to die.

And that's what has happened to it. It's not only alive, the thingy is actually growing!



And my orchids have also resurrected. They looked really sad over the winter but now they're all blossoming and everything. That must be the first time in my life!

Orchid the Survivor
More flowers on the way!
I tell you. The smallest of things. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment