4/27/2014

I had my last free Sabbath yesterday. It was just a tiny bit sad to know that it was the last time for a while when I could go for a long walk on the seaside and read a good book (John Ortberg - I like this guy more and more) and sunbathe in our backyard on a Sabbath. Ah, lazy life, you will be missed!

Next week this time I'll be dressed up and preaching in Tartu church.

But I was looking for hymns this morning that could go with my sermon next week and as I asked my dad about couple of songs, he was like, "What are you doing?" "Uhmm, I'm organising the Sabbath morning service for next weekend." And he's like, "No-one writes a sermon nor looks for hymns for next Saturday's service on SUNDAY morning." Haha! Then I realised that maybe I've been looking forward to working again a bit more than I'd like to admit it. Because it's true - usually I don't start writing my sermons on Sunday.

The only thing I can say in my defense is that I haven't preached for more than four months now. And there's this sermon in me that has been trying to get out for a while. So I just had to sit down today and put it on paper. It's about John the Baptist and the terrible tragedy of his life and his question about who Jesus was and Jesus' reply, "Blessed in the man who doesn't fall away on account of me." Or in my modern translation, "Blessed is the person whose faith doesn't depend on their circumstances, blessed is the person who holds on to JC, whatever suffering or confusion might come their way. Blessed is the person who doesn't walk away when the Messiah turns out to be different from their picture of Him."

I just have to preach this sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment