10/19/2013


Newbold is like the Wonderland for me. And yes, I've become Alice. There are many things that are most natural and self-evident here which in any other context or any other world would be somewhat remarkable or extraordinary. You know, just like in Alice's Wonderland.

A small episode from last week reminded me of that. I went to hear the yearly Beach Lecture on Tuesday evening. I fought with my little jetlag, I admit, because usually back home I don't go listen to serious theological lectures at 10pm. But I was brave and the lecture on reconsiliation was really good. Canon David Porter who gave the lecture is the Archbishop of Canterbury's Director of Reconciliation. Can you imagine, what a cool profession!

And then on Wednesday morning I went to caf for a cup of tea before another long morning in the classroom, and it was Mr Porter himself who was having breakfast there. And I think Newbold is the only place where this coulnd't even make me rise my eyebrows, as if there's nothing more natural in this world than to see people like him having breakfast in our caf. So I sat down at his table and we had a short and nice conversation about reconsiliation and Northern Ireland (where he's from) and Estonia and about how the principles of his lecture do or do not apply to Estonian context. And then we wished each other blessings and I took my cup and walked to my class. Nah, nothing special.

The Archbishop of Canterbury's Director of Reconciliation he is.

This is Wonderland, I tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment