8/16/2013

I think this last weekend I saw the church at its best.

Studying theology is just about the best thing that has happened to me. But it has its own dangers, too. You sit in a classroom or in the caf with fellow theologians and you analyse and assess everything. You talk so much about the church and it's positive or negative sides, it's victories and failures that there's a possibility you somehow detach yourself from the 'fellowship of believers'. You become an observer. You become a doctor who's performing a surgery on a patient, carefully and caringly, of course, but without feeling what the patient feels.

But last weekend as I preached at two different church events I enjoyed the true fellowship. I really felt I was part of the body of Christ and that body of Christ was functioning the way it was meant to function. I wasn't a doctor - even though I was the one sharing the Word of God with others - but I was the patient. I was in pain and confused and everyone around me helped me to carry this burden. People around me breathed in the same rhythm as me, their hearts beat in the same rhythm as mine. I was reminded again why Christ established the church in the first place, I was reminded again that I belonged to these people and that they belonged to me. It was painful and relieving and beautiful.

--

They have the local conference session in Tartu right now. I was elected as a delegate as well but I chose to stay home with my mom. It is possible that on this very minute I'm being elected as the new youth leader in our conference, but I'm here with mom, and everything else has grown strangely dim. It's unbelievable what just one week can do to your life.
We enjoyed the sun in a nearby park yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment