4/12/2022

One Hundred Days


It is exactly one hundred days today until the wedding. I know because I keep checking our wedding webpage every day and they have this gadget there that does the countdown. The time has never moved so slowly. Which is another way of saying that I have never waited for anything so eagerly. 

As to the prep, we are doing well. The big things are in place - we have a church and a pastor, we have the place for reception and the toastmaster and the photographer, I have the dress and S. almost has a suit, all the invitations are delivered and program of the church service is put on paper, we have plans for the honeymoon and we have ran around S's apartment with a tape measure, checking if the new necessary furniture will fit in. Just last week I collected an official-looking document from some office where it states that as far as the Estonian government is concerned, I am eligible for marriage. We have done an online course of pre-marital counselling together and we are also doing a face-to-face one with D. H. every time I am in Sweden. Things look good! Things look promising!

There are, of course, a million little things that still need to be done. Some of them I find more stressful, some less. Some haven't even crossed my mind yet and some things we will probably discover only the day before (or after) the wedding. But what is a constant is that I find it great fun to work with S. on this big project - maybe the biggest one in our lives when it comes to event-organising. It's cool to see what kind of preferences we have and what the process of reaching a mutual agreement looks like and how our habits or cultural/family/personal differences kick in.

The funniest and the biggest difference between us, as far as my observations go, is how we approach shopping. It's becoming a bit of an anecdote for us, truly. Because we both have a very peculiar way of doing it. I do it like this:

- I bought my wedding dress... from the first salon I stepped in (it was the 4th dress I tried on and the shop assistant was rather baffled by my decision to buy it right away)

- I bought my bridal head piece... well, it was the first one I tried on

- my wedding shoes... came from the first shoe shop I went to (ok, I had checked out their webpage before that but still)

It is not difficult to guess where our bed would have come from if we had done things my way. It would have come from IKEA on our first visit there. But since we are doing it S's way, things are very different. There is no bed yet (and that's ok because - chech the first sentence of this post) but there are a good number of bed shop visits on our account. S. has a whole pile of printed quotations from different shops to be able to compare prices. And he has done almost academic research on the different materials of mattresses. Whatever we end up having, I know it will be the best thing out there.   

The last time he was here and we needed to look for some things for the wedding and he did not buy them the first time we were in the shop, I apologised to him in advance for all that **** he will see in his life because his wife is quite literally unable to shop for things in a decent manner haha. But it's good to know at least one of us has the ability of buying things reasonably. 

Other than that, there's just impatient waiting. If I could will the time to move faster, we would be living in July already. There are so many things - everything! - to look forward to. There is a whole new reality to create. A whole new home and family. New family traditions. New relationship dymanics (without this cursed distance). There's also a new language for me to learn. A new place and culture to get used to. A new job.

Just one hundred days to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment