3/30/2015

It must have been about ten years ago when I had a chance to go to a concert in Tartu and see Julia Fischer play the violin. And I sat there in the concert hall and was absolutely dumbfounded when I saw her brilliance but what I never felt was jealousy. Some people are just so above everyone else that jealousy doesn't even cross your mind. There are geniuses among us and frankly, it feels kind of dumb to envy a genius.

I feel the same way about Fred Craddock and his preaching. I was saddened to find out today that he has passed away recently. Ah, the world has lost another genius, no more brilliant sermons of his to listen to and to admire. Really, I haven't heard anyone preach like him. And while I know many people - and I also happen to be one of them - who preach on a weekly basis and who all do their very best, when I start listening to Craddock's When The Roll Is Called Down Here for the umpteenth time, again I feel like sitting in the concert hall listening to Julia Fischer. You just sit and admire. And find a lot of comfort in knowing that these kind of people exist and grace the world with their presence and genius.

Rest in peace, Pastor.

--

Two photos from last week.

This one L. sent me from Newbold. And K. sent me a message the next day and told me my face is all over the place. I don't know how I feel about it. I guess there's no turning back now.


And this is how I fight the 'I still haven't finished the lecture' stress. Tartu, Friday evening, Cafe Pierre. The best place to fight any kind of stress really. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment