10/13/2014

I made a surprising discovery last weekend - nature still exists. I wouldn't have believed. The thing is that I'm slowly getting use to living in a city centre, and that also means that I'm getting use to living without any nature around me. Well, we had ONE big tree in front of our church... Until last week. It was probably the sadness of being the last tree standing in the middle of all this concrete and asphalt that broke its spirit - so it kind of became withered. And last week there came some guys who cut it down in couple of hours. So I don't have a tree in front of my church any more. And when I look out my windows (both my bedroom and my office face the same direction), I only see a parking lot and couple of pubs (one of them has a really strange effect on me - when I hear all that drunken yelling in perfect British English coming from Beer Garden, I get slightly xenophobic), and some Old Town pinnacles. And no nature. So when we headed to Southern Estonia last Friday to take part in ecumenical youth event, I was like, Oh my days, there are still trees and yellow leaves and the smell of autumn out there, and when I woke up in the morning I was amazed to see a colourful forest just outside my window, and when we hit the sauna on Saturday night and ran from the sauna to dip in the icy lake, there was wet grass and sand beneath my bare feet, and the sound of water. And I was like, let me get back to a normal environment! I don't think we're created to live in the midst of concrete and exhaust gas. Well. One day.

--

I just finished reading Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies and I've decided to become a writer just like her one day. That also means that I'm going to use swear words in my books. I don't seem to get much support on that front and I might have some battles to fight with my publisher about it, but that's ok. I've made up my mind.

--

I don't want to talk about football. Not with my English friends anyway. So I'm ignoring you, S., until you start behaving again. Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment