6/16/2014

The whole graduation thing is still too overwhelming, it will take some more time for me to get my head around the reality. But until I recover from my emotional hangover, I'll look back at my 3+ years in Newbold. Here is my top 20 of my Newbold moments (they're not in order of importance).

1. Waffle Wednesdays. They saved my life in more than just one way. Sometimes consuming enormous amounts of waffles and cheese and maple syrup is the exact thing that keeps you sane and healthy haha!

2. Playing hours and hours of table tennis with T. and U. and J. and S. in the end of my first year. We had just finished our exams and no-one was in hurry any more. Guys talked about their exams and it sounded terribly complicated to me. I couldn't believe I was considered worthy to play table tennis with MA students. :P

3. Preaching at the contemporary service. That experience still stands out for me. And I still remember parts of the sermon by heart - "I was born in a country that doesn't exist any more" was the first sentence of it, I think.

4. Chocolate parties with S. and A. when S. was leaving Newbold to go back to Sweden again. Chocolate party always seemed a brilliant idea before having one, and a terribly stupid one afterwards (sugar overdose, stomach ache, sleeping problems etc). But they were always good times. Not so much because of good chocolate but because of good friends.

5. Choir trip to Scotland and Ireland with the college girls.

6. An epic boat trip with The Experience team and JUMP team and our very own H. He had bought mountains of good food and we spent a whole spring day on the river. That was sure one awesome treat.

7. The Experience. How the student centre morphed into a sanctuary every single Thursday evening, how our love and effort worked wonders and how Jesus showed up and did beautiful stuff in the lives of these young people... That's probably the most memorable and valuable thing I take with me from Newbold.

8. Beating J.'s Greek exam result with two points. I'll never forget that and I'm trying to make sure the rest of the world won't either. I've never had so much motivation to study for an exam ever before. :P

9. Pressing the Submit button after finishing an essay.

10. Teaching Greek. It probably looked and sounded a lot more glamorous than it really was. In reality I just spent all my Sundays sitting in my room, staring at the participles tables, desperately trying to make some sense of them. But the experience in a whole was a rewarding one, when I read all their exam papers, I knew they had done well, and I knew I hadn't done bad either.

11. Hearing Dr Cornel West speak in Cambridge.

12. The graduation day. It was emotional and beautiful. So many important people were there and I loved the fact they were all glad with me and for me. And the afternoon was great as well, S. had booked a table for 5, how we ended up with 15 people in the restaurant I really don't know haha! Awesome.

13. The hours I've spent in Dr A. N.'s office, plus our epic London date. Young people need good role models and mentors, I'm more convinced of it than ever before.

14. Countless tea dates with different friends in Stags. Some laughing has happened in Stags, and some crying, and many heart to heart conversations. Friendships have been made stronger there and life has been preached into my heart. I'm always up for a cup of tea in Stags with a friend. Always.

15. Seeing lecturers getting emotional or switching to preaching mode in a classroom. That's when you realise theology isn't just another academic discipline, it's something that goes deep and personal, it's a joy that has surprised many people - including my lecturers - and it's a joy that has surprised me personally as well. There aren't many things as beautiful as seeing the gospel touching people.

16. Oxford trip with Lewis & Tolkien class. I was pretty much begging the lecturer to take me with them and he was kind enough to let me go with them. I think during that day I never stopped having this massive smile on my face. It was a dream coming true.

17. Having our long late-evening prayer sessions with A. I knew prayer before but sometimes I still think it was her who really taught me to pray. I'm ever so thankful for it.

18. Going to John Mayer's concert with MJ last autumn. I almost went deaf but it was an epic London trip nevertheless. Such a good memory!

19. Watching The Record Keeper. Oh no, she didn't just say that! Oh yes, she just did! :P

20. Homiletics class. This class literally changed my life. Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment