6/28/2014

Poppies. [Saaremaa island]
I spent two long days on Saaremaa island at the meeting of the youth board of Estonian Council of Churches.

Before going, I wasn't quite sure why I was supposed to be there. I mean, I know how it worked technically. Our church needed to send a new member to this board to represent Adventists, my senior pastor recommended me and our conference board approved. That's how I got there. But like practically, I wasn't quite sure why it was necessary for me to be part of it. Just recently I've got this weird feeling of urgency when I've prayed for certain things, for all I know I might not be in Estonia for very long. And that's why I don't want to waste my time on meaningless things. And being a member of a fancy board for the sake of being a member of a fancy board is totally meaningless. So in a way I was looking for a reason for being there.

The event itself was totally cool. The first day was more relaxed. We were supposed to go sightseeing but as the weather was really rainy and cold, we decided to spend time indoors. Which meant we spent a whole afternoon in a spa haha! I found out it's the easiest way to make new friends - go sit in a sauna and go swimming with a bunch of people you've never met before. Add some football talk and evening worship, and by the end of a day you'll feel like life-long buddies. But on the second day we meant business so I got a general overview of the projects the youth board is running and of the future plans and the overall vision. It turns out one of the new things the youth board has initiated is an ecumenical monthly radio program for youth. I sat there like, uhmm, I've worked in a radio for more than three years. The board's chairman is like, well, this is exactly what we need, do you want to be part of this initiative, I guess this is decided then.

Looks like I'm going back to radio from September.

Yesterday on my way back to Tartu I had time to think about it (took us five hours to get back, I didn't know Estonia was that big). And I thought, so THAT's why I had to be there. That's why God arranged this thing. There is a way for me to be useful after all, there's a way for me to use my time meaningfully while being in Estonia.

I like when stuff like this happen. It's great to be part of this invisible Kingdom thing. Makes me happy. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh M. thank you for sharing these things with us! Reading your blog is like a little taste of Newbold reality. Your enthusiasm and wonder are contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Laura! :)
    I really like how Bob Goff has put it when he talks about the 'commandments of Christianity'. He says three things:
    1. Love God
    2. Love people
    3. Do stuff
    I'm tryng to live by these commandments. :)

    ReplyDelete