9/22/2013

I've been thinking about truth lately. I've encountered people who are convinced they possess all the Truth there is out there, and this gives them some sort of superiority over other people. And well, when you are superior to someone, it doesn't really matter how exactly you treat them. For you're right anyway.

And I can't help but think of a text in the gospel of John where Jesus has the audacity to tell those famous words: I am the way, the truth, and the life. And I realize that I understand truth in a completely different manner compared to many other people. Because for me Truth isn't a what, truth is a who. Truth is not a doctrine, Truth is a person.

So a person can only have as much Truth as much as she has Jesus. A person can only be as close to Truth as close he is to Jesus. Doctrines and sound teachings are all good and necessary, don't get me wrong, I don't have any intention to downplay their importance, but they have never been and they will never be the Truth. I believe in one Truth, and that is Jesus.

Last week I attended the Estonian Christian radio station's event - it was really cool. I got to see some old friends, I got to make some new ones, and I got to hang out with the archbishop of the Estonian Lutheran church (it doesn't happen every day). And in the end of the day when there was only a handful of friends left, we prayed together. And the director of the radio station prayed for the healing of my mom in such a beautiful and powerful way. And I realized there, praying together with my friends from Adventist and Baptist and Lutheran church, that on this very moment there were no doctrinal differences (no doctrines at all, for that matter), there was no ecumenical politeness, there were no walls, but there was a lot of Truth in this moment. Because Jesus was there, and with Him a lot of divine love, mercy and caring. And once again I saw the beauty of the real Truth, the kind that sets you free and makes you see the world through the eyes of Jesus. Beautiful.

Oh, one last thought - when you've got all the Truth in the world, you don't look down on other people. You go and die for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment