6/06/2013

I'm sure everyone knows the feeling when you promise to do something or when you say yes to something just because it seems so far away. And then when the time comes, you're like, what on earth was I thinking? Well, I'm exactly in this situation now. Months ago - far from Estonia and this life here - I let my parents talk me into playing the violin at a concert. Oh, why not, I thought, I have done that before. I didn't quite realise that we were talking about an opening concert of Pärnu's organ festival in the biggest church around here. It's actually a big deal. My dad was offered such an opportunity and he thought I could help him a bit with my violin. He's a bad *** organist, by the way.

Well, the concert is tomorrow evening.

Yesterday evening, after being sick for a good number of days, I went for a walk at the seaside again. I passed the town's notice board (or whatever it's called - it's where all the posters of upcoming events are) and I saw a huge poster of Pärnu's organ festival. They have one concert every week for the whole summer. Opening concert - M. K. (violin), R. K. (organ). WHAT? I thought I could just play my two Bach pieces really quietly, without any public knowledge of my existence. I guess I was wrong.

My mom has been calling her family and it seems to me that a whole bunch of friends and relatives are coming to Pärnu tomorrow for the concert. Including my aunt. Who's a violin teacher.

It's going to be humiliating.

But the cool thing about it is that I get to assist my dad when he plays the organ. I will probably get terribly nervous because I need to push all these right buttons at the right time but it's still awesome to be so close to the magic of music. And I'll spoil it for you - the concert will end with Bach's most famous Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. I'll probably start crying in the end of that piece. Bach's music is the most divine of all the music out there, nothing and no-one can beat him, at least for me.

But someone must go practice her violin now.

4 comments:

  1. So, this coming Tuesday Tune will be a youtube vid of you playing Bach at the concert? ;) God go with you Mervi, it will all go to His glory and you will do fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that option never crossed my mind! :D But probably not - there are so many other songs I want to share with my friends. And trust me, my own playing doesn't come on the top of that music list. :P
    And I don't even know how people feel about classical music in general. I've listened to Bach for the half of a day today and just now I came from the opera (Russian romantism and drama-drama). But I suspect not everyone likes it as much as me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray it goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Halstyn! :) I'm sure it will, it'll probably be slightly embarrassing but I'll be just fine!

    ReplyDelete