6/30/2013

I'm looking forward to July. I've said yes to a few preaching appointments in July and I'm getting just a little bit impatient waiting for them to arrive. The first sermon I will preach this coming Saturday at a football tournament. How cool is that! A bunch of friends are organising a little football thingy, we'll spend the Sabbath together and have a little trip to nature where I'll share the Word, and then a bonfire to end the Saturday. And then football all Sunday long. Sounds like an awesome weekend in the making.

And then toward the end of the month I've been invited to preach at our youth camp meeting and also at our senior members camp meeting. So within one week I'll have to preach to two completely different audiences. It's quite a challenge, but a good one. For some reason I'm especially looking forward to share the Word with the elderly people. I've got so much love and respect for these people who've seen joys and sorrows beyond my imagination, who've survived the hardship of our history and who, despite of everything, have still remained faithful to the Almighty. I already have a passage chosen for that sermon and I know I will get overtly emotional when preaching to them.

I sure seem to get the coolest preaching appointments around here. :)

I have a strong passion for preaching. Yesterday I listened to quite a few sermons by Dr Haddon Robinson who has taught homiletics in Fuller Theological Seminary for many decades. Listening to preachers like him or Fred Craddock (who's the best of the best in my modest opinion) makes me inspired and humbled at the same time. There is still SUCH a long way for me to go, and it's good to keep the bench mark high so that one wouldn't get settled and content with mediocrity. And on the other hand I'm always surprised when God can use me, my thoughts and experiences and my quiet voice to speak to people's hearts. It happens quite often that my mind brings back wonderful memories of the sermons I've preached in the past - the Zacchaeus or 6 word memoir ones from The Experience, the Peter's sword sermon from Newbold's contemporary service, the latest visit to Central London Church... Ah, good memories! It's such a beautiful thing, this preaching thing.

But enough of talking. It's time for sermon prep!

No comments:

Post a Comment