5/28/2013

It has taken me a bit less than a week to read the first book of the LOTR trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring. It means that I've spent long hours every day reading it (it is partly responsible for my yesterday's sunburn). It has completely absorbed me, to say the least. I mean, I knew the story, I've seen the movies, but what this book is doing to me right now - it's indescribable. It has been nothing short of a revelation. And I was not ready for it.

It may sound cheap and corny but Frodo's my man. I can relate to him, I can identify myself with him, I can understand him. And his story, his tale is really my story, my tale. It's really me who was awaken from her little sunny life in a remote corner of the world and was given the... well, the Burden, the Calling, the Cross to bear. I've set forth on a journey that is really far far beyond my own capacity and powers. And I'm small, especially these days I feel so very small. And the evil is powerful and getting more powerful yet. The task before me seems almost impossible. But despite all of that there are days of rest and revival on my way - times when I can renew my strength and get new hope. And the fellowship - yes, the fellowship! I, too, have my people, people who keep speaking words of life and encouragement into my heart, people who keep believing in me and in my task, who rekindle the dreams if they start fading. People whose love and support I really haven't deserved. And although I sometimes feel I'm not the right person for the Calling and that I keep falling short over and over again, there's the voice of the Good One, saying (through the words of Gandalf here), "You have some strength in you, my dear hobbit. I think well of you and the others. It is no small feat to have come so far, and through such dangers, still bearing the Ring." And on I go, on and on, day after day. Towards my fate and towards the Zion.

I'm sure some literary critic would shoot me after reading this. I'm not overtly worried about it. What is more important for me is that maybe, just maybe good ole Tolkien wouldn't. Maybe he'd smile, with a spark in his eye. Maybe he, too, has laboured and journeyed on the same Road.

2 comments:

  1. 2 tries later, this is finally posting!!! :)

    I am reading The Hobbit right now, so my only knowledge of LOTR is coming from the films, but the stories are still incredibly powerful to me. I love everything you said about this story.

    Growing up watching the films, I used to hate Frodo. I thought that Samwise was the one who's strength truly carried the ring to Mordor. It wasn't until college that I finally realized Samwise is innocent. Sam cannot understand the burden Frodo has. He has his strengths for sure, but I realized Frodo's journey is truly the journey I relate to. I was the innocent and ignorant Sam at one point in my life that couldn't fully understand what following God entails. Knowledge of the world and of the burden and the calling is what opened my eyes that my journey was never Sam's. I couldn't understand Frodo until I realized that my journey is adjacent to his. Until I grew up. I completely identify with what you have said and I love being able to find someone that feels the way I do. I can't wait to finish The Hobbit so that I can read LOTR and join you in this knowledge. I love your thoughts! Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Halstyn, thank you for your kind words! I just talked to my brother this past weekend and he said I should have started with The Hobbit as well. So I guess you're doing things in the right order. :) But as to Sam and Frodo, I think everybody's journey is different, and so is their burden. Samwise's burden wasn't any smaller, it was just different.
    And Gandalf is truly amazing. Oh my.

    ReplyDelete