2/05/2022

All Is Well

It's five days since the first symptoms and one day since the first positive test (I wasted a good number of speed tests and one PCR test before that). Being fairly sure it was Covid from the beginning, it was with a great relief that I saw two red lines on my test yesterday.

It may sound weird but that's how it was. Because being lucky enough to have mild symptoms (sore throat, an occasional headache, some bad coughing, a small temperature one evening), what this "extra" red line meant for me was the end of that nerve-racking and never-ending (or so it seemed to me) waiting. So far, every day and every contact meant a potential threat, and even if this thought was buried deep beneath all the other thoughts and cares, it still wore me out in the end. I got so tired of waiting and worrying and counting and imagining - especially in the context of my Swedish trips and my week of preaching in the beginning of March in Vejlefjord, Denmark. Now the famous guest is here. Phew. Let's deal with it. And then, hopefully, I can go back to the world without this burden of nagging fear.

According to the Estonian law, my isolation will not end before another 5 days. But it has barely felt like an isolation. I have been able to have one literature class on Zoom, taking CPR tests means I have a reason to go out and breath some fresh air, I'm constantly keeping in touch with my family members (nothing entertains me quite as much as discussing dress styles with my five year old niece - E. is very worried about what to wear in my wedding in the summer:), my auntie brought me some warm food yesterday. I can clean and cook. And although, as we joke with S., I mostly go from bed to sofa and from sofa to bed, that's alright, too. It's a break from the constant hurrying and working. And while I lie in bed or on my sofa, I put to good use my rocket-science-awesome-brilliant headphones S. got me for Christmas. They are these big and fancy noise cancelling headphones with - really! - a brilliant sound quality so I am constantly listening to something. Some lecture from an Estonian audio lecture program called Night University, or some audio book (it was a Hercule Poirot story yesterday), or my much beloved audio Bible (I literally stopped reading the Bible some three years ago when I discovered audio Bible - soon it will be the third time for me to get through the Bible by listening to it).

And as I had almost stopped coughing by this morning, I decided it was time to get back to my usual 'ice-cold morning shower' routine today. It felt good!

So with humble gratitude and with my heart aching for all these friends and acquaintances who have not had it so easy, I can say - all is well with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment