12/12/2020

Surviving

It was Thursday evening. I had come from my last driving lesson, the bread was baking in the oven, the worktop was full of freshly iced ginger bread (for my pupils - cheap popularity always helps), the brand new Christmas CD by my very favourite choir was on repeat, I had just opened a new novel by Olga Tokarczuk (a recent Booker Prize and Nobel Prize winner) when the sweet realisation hit me - I think I'm going to survive 2020. Against all odds.

Oh, and just on Wednesday I had received another negative Covid test result. That helped, too.

The beginning of the week had been somewhat rockier. I had a sore throat, the aching being mild but persistent. And thinking of all the family and friends I had spent time with over the weekend - driving lessons with my dad, Monopoly and popcorn and Polar Express with close friends - made me kind of itchy. Might have I infected someone I care about? So I did the only thing I knew would put my mind at ease - I phoned my head mistress and told I would miss two days of school, and booked a Covid test. Then I sank into sweet oblivion for a couple of days, chucked out my alarm clock, sat in my PJs and shamelessly watched all five seasons of Shetland (nothing beats a good British crime series when isolating, trust me).

These two PJ days weren't enough, though. I need a longer break. The school is just about to close down for Christmas, and I am looking forward to more days of oblivion and PJs. I like my pupils and all, but my tiny little school teacher muscles and nerves are reaching their limits now. The fact that an overtly eager parent sends me emails, telling me how to do my job isn't exactly helping either. 

The Covid situation is bad and getting worse, as it is everywhere else. And my worst fear is that I would have to spend Christmas in isolation without a chance to see my family. I managed it in March but I doubt I would manage it now without sinking into sombre gloom. There are times when being single and living alone really is difficult.

But hell or high water, we will survive this year. Especially since every day is taking us closer to the vaccine. Also, every day is taking me closer to January when I will start lecturing in the Seminary again. For some mental health reason, their usual homiletics lecturer had to drop out, and they turned to me. Would I be able to step in? WOULD I??? OH, GUYS, WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG? I might have sounded too eager, but I don't care. So there is good stuff to look forward to.

We should all give each other a gold medal for getting through this year. 

There are better days ahead. Far better. 

--

Wilder Woods, Mary, You're Wrong  

No comments:

Post a Comment