3/19/2016

I have better people in my life than I deserve. Far better.

I moved out from my apartment on Thursday, dad came to Tallinn and helped me move. It was a sad and strange day, I felt like breaking down in tears the whole day. Then M. sent me a message on Thursday evening and invited me out to lunch the next day. And so it was that when I met her and we headed to the Old Town for lunch on Friday I hadn't eaten anything for 24 hours. I think she saved me from an eating disorder (it's probably not true but it sounds so wonderfully dramatic, lol!)

Then on Friday afternoon S. called me and he basically invited himself as well as H. and K. to my place. I wouldn't have thought of inviting them over because in my head I thought I would have to unpack and settle and get used to the new apartment before I can let anybody in. Fortunately they didn't think the same way so after I had sneaked out of Friday evening prayer meeting in the church (don't tell anyone) we all landed at my place. It was so good to have them there I could have hugged them the whole evening haha! And it was so funny. I realised that I had run out of moving energy on Thursday afternoon when I got to the kitchen so I had only grabbed a couple of plates and tea mugs and pretty much nothing else. So when they brought all that food we didn't have any place to put it. We had a bottle of some fancy fizzy drink on my table and next to it some bread (gladly I had the plates for salad), and as I didn't have a kitchen knife, we literally broke the bread as we ate. I was joking about us having our own communion service around my kitchen table. But as I walked to church this morning to preach I kept thinking about that bread. I think it really was a communion we had last night. I don't know what are the theological requirements for a communion service but it all looked a lot like the very first breaking of bread we read about in the Gospels. There was drink and bread and other food, there were the most important people around that table, there was the presence of the Almighty, and it all took place in the middle of life's inevitable pain and beauty. If this wasn't a communion, I don't know what is...

And five minutes ago I received a phone call from I., my senior pastor who just invited himself and his family to my place tonight.

So if God loves us through the love of other people, I've been soaked in love these past few days. Even in my misery, I am a very happy girl.

Breaking of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment