12/16/2015

I went to the national tv yesterday for the recording. I had never been to a tv studio before so I was rather excited, a bit like a kid. And nervous too. Before heading there I walked to and fro in my office and practiced my lines with a loud voice, trying to memorise as much as possible (I was lucky all the other office guys were at a pastors meeting and weren't there to see it). And it was a good thing I practiced it - something strange happens to your brain once the cameras are on and everyone is silent and the camera crew just stares at you. Words and lines get kind of blurry in your head. Obviously, when it comes to that Christian program, everyone knows we're basically all first-timers so the crew is nice and supportive and all. But still, you try to be as professional in your task as possible.

I was very interested in how everything works in the tv studio. And it's what you'd expect, really. Someone takes you to the make-up room (it was my first ever professional make up so I was vain enough to take couple of selfies before I left haha - but I'm not vain enough to post them here), then someone else makes you sign a paper (I didn't bother reading so I don't really know what I agreed to) and takes you to the studio. Then they sit you down on a lonely chair in the middle of a big big room, someone checks the lights, someone else holds a microphone above your head. And then you sit there in the middle of cameras and lights and...well, basically talk about Jesus. It was all rather bizarre, to be honest. But the lady who was in charge seemed to be happy with the outcome and when she sent me out she said 'Until the next time' or something like that. I don't think it means they're going to invite me back but it does mean I managed the task I was given. So all went well, thank heavens.

I thought about tv and radio when I headed back home. And I remembered how everything was like when I worked in the Christian radio station. I did the morning programs there for about 4 years. I remember having to be in the studio at 6:30am the latest, I remember how I had to drag myself out of bed and how I sat in the studio with my pillow face, drank tea and yawned. Radio is just so much easier because all you have to think about is your words and your voice. No-one cares what you look like. No-one cares what you wear or how much you wave your hands. Or whether you smile or not. In that sense I really prefer radio. But I'm also thankful for yesterday's experience. Yet another thing checked off my bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment