7/09/2015

The light of last weekend will shine bright for a long time.

It was the weekend of Christian song festival in Tartu. It was about 1,5 years ago when the organising committee (from the Lutheran church) had made the final selection of songs and to our great delight it was announced that one of my dad's song would be on the program. And then about a year ago came the detailed program which said that my dad's song The Lord Is Great in Zion would be the very last, the closing song of the whole song festival. Which, of course, would be a great honor to any composer.

So we were all in Tartu this past weekend, braving the heat wave and singing our hearts out and being so very glad for my dad. There were around 2800 singers in the main choir, it was a pleasure to be part of it and as much as I've heard, it was also lovely to listen to. And it's difficult to explain to someone who's never seen a song festival what it's really like but towards the end of it mass psychosis (or something very similar) starts taking over the singers. Like, you've waited for the festival for so long, you've rehearsed the songs, you've put up with hours of rehearsals on the song festival grounds, suffering from sun burn and dehydration, it's been much hard work and a long journey to the actual song festival concert so when you realise it's almost over, you'd do almost anything to prolong the bliss of singing together with so many people. And it's not only singing, it's like breathing together, for a moment you cease to exist as an individual and you become one with this massive crowd. So it was also on Saturday. And the only thing you can possibly prolong this experience with is having some songs repeated by popular demand...

 It was when all the prayers and benedictions were said and most of the audience was standing when we sang my dad's song. And oh, I have never sung a song like I sang this one! And when it ended, the choir started chanting "Au-thor, au-thor" and dad came running to the conductor's stand and waved to the singers and he got a bouquet of flowers and a massive applause and it was all rather like a dream. And when I thought everything was over, I suddenly heard some chanting from the men's section: "Repeat! Repeat!" And then I was almost crying when I saw the conductor come back and give us a sign to repeat the last song. My dad stood there with his flowers, watching the massive choir and orchestra and he cried happy tears...

Some moments stay with you. This one will - one of the proudest moment of my entire life.

A fraction of the choir. I'm somewhere there.
--

I'm only going to say this about the GC and WO. It was around 3am that the result of the voting came last night and when it did, I sat on my bed and wept like a little child.

In the beginning of the week I was like, I should make Thursday my visitation day this week. So I looked at the members list and called a whole bunch of people. And except for one lady who was out of town with her grandchildren, no-one answered my call. And I thought it really funny, wanting to suspect a conspiracy. But now I know it wasn't a conspiracy, it was mere mercy. I'm not in a condition of sitting on anyone's couch and asking about their lives today. In fact, I would appreciate a pastoral visit myself.

But on a brighter note, the uplifting messages and phone calls from good friends have been appreciated beyond words. It's encouraging to know I'm not facing this tragedy alone. Actually, my conference secretary just called, checking on me. That's the Kingdom I believe in!

No comments:

Post a Comment