4/09/2015

It's unbelievable how quickly one can get use to Newbold awesomeness. It's my third day here and today I've sat in the library working on my lecture, read a book in the student centre, had some counseling with The Lady, some chats with Dr A. N. and G. R. and also with P.K.B. who happens to be here today. And it almost feels like I never left this place... Home.

And one can get use to nerd dates rather quickly as well. It was our (mine & Dr A. N.'s) third or fourth outing yesterday and it seems like we've become professionals by now. The meeting place differs but the rest of it stays the same, and as far as I'm concerned, I hope these things never change. So yesterday we met up in the National Gallery in London as A. remembered I had mentioned something about my interest in French impressionists the last time we met in Oxford. And as it happened that there was a big new impressionists exhibition opened in the National Gallery, we naturally went there. Gosh, I have seen enough impressionists to last a life time, it seems. They were all lined up there - Renoir, Monet, Manet, Rodin, Cezanne, Pissarro, Degas, etc. Pure awesomeness. It took us about three hours to see the whole thing. Plus a quick visit to the permanent exhibition upstairs, just to see van Gogh's Sunflowers. I think I can die in peace now. Lol!

And after lunch in Soho, our next destination - bookshops. Too bad I hate shopping, I got tired of it way too quickly but still I had a chance to raid bookshops with the only person I know who reads 60+ books a year. Priceless! So all in all, with the books I bought yesterday and with some she brought me today (she said she had bought some, thinking of me - I found that terribly touching) I have six new books. And there's no-one whose reading recommendations I'd take more seriously than hers so I'm very much looking forward to start reading them asap.

But most of all I just enjoy talking to her. There are some things I can share with her and know for sure that she understands. Because she too is a theologian and a teacher from a far Nordic corner of the world, doing her thing and making an impact and serving God the best way she can. (and all that in the world ruled and dominated by men - I couldn't help adding it) She has no idea how much she inspires me.

I guess I want to be a little bit like her once I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment