1/23/2014


So it's one month today. December 23rd. January 23rd. It has been by far the longest month of my life. And also in terms of knowledge - I don't think I've ever learned so many life lessons in such a short time. Life teaches. And I learn.

--

I've started translating a book. It's the first one for me, I've never done such a thing before. I find it quite interesting, even though I'm having to live on Google and Wikipedia all the time which makes me feel really unqualified for the job. It's kind of a popular-scientific book which the church is going to publish here in spring time. Hence the wikipeding. (See, I just made a verb!)

I listen to a lot of classical music and Amy Winehouse. Such an odd combination, I know.

I sing. On Friday nights.

I practice the piano.

I read and I write. I think I'll have to go to the local library soon and get some books. I hear Lev Tolstoy calling my name.

I cook.

I take pictures.

And yesterday I found a beautiful quote. It's quite amazing when it happens - there's something your guts tell you but you fail to put it into words. And then someone far wiser and cooler than you comes by and says it for you. So here it is. Kurt Vonnegut says, "Go into the arts. I'm not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something." Thank you, K. V.!

No comments:

Post a Comment