12/27/2013


Should it happen that I manage to live a truly remarkable life, I'll write down my memoirs one day. And there certain people will be mentioned. I'm not quite sure why but I just know that there in my autobiography two friends will get their own chapter. Don't get me wrong, there have been many great and influential people in my life, people whose friendship I really haven't deserved, people who have given me way more than they know, people who have mentored and guided me. And maybe I should write a whole book about and for them. But right now my guts tell me that there will be at least two special chapters in my memoirs. One will be dedicated to U. And the other one to MJ.

MJ arrived here on December 17, and she just left today. So she was the only person who really witnessed the last sad chapter of one drama, and a few pages of a new (sad) story. She was here, she saw us losing hope, saw us breaking down, saw us hurrying to the hospital early on Monday morning. And honestly, I wouldn't and couldn't have made it through this time without her. It's not only that she was a shoulder to cry on or that she was here comforting us, she literally took over our kitchen and the whole household for a week. She did all our grocery shopping for us (and found it terribly funny when people stopped and stared at her on the street and in the grocery store - oh gosh, we live in such a dump!), she cooked every day, she bossed my little brother around and made him clean up after himself (we had a few good laughs about it), she made me get up and eat and go out and sit in the cafes and go for walks. She literally forced me to continue LIVING. Without her me and my dad would look like skeletons now. And would probably feel like skeletons, too.

I just walked back from the bus station and waved my brother and MJ goodbye as they got on the bus to Tallinn. And I said to God, You repay her for all the goodness and love that she brought to our home at the hardest time of our lives, I don't have anything to give her, so I trust you'll do it.

I don't know. There aren't many things in this world that touch and amaze me more than utter selflessness does.

Safe travels, MJ! Always remember, my home is your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment