11/25/2013

H., S., mum, dad, M., K.
We had early Christmas. Nah, not really. Only all of us kids went home this past weekend to celebrate mum's 60th birthday. But it felt a lot like Christmas Eve. Because it only happens couple of times a year that all of us get together. I hadn't seen my little (or not so little) brother K. since August so it really felt special to be home this time. Mum and my older brother with his wife had prepared a feast, there were presents (only for mum but no-one minded haha), there were candles and there was a long-long evening with no-one being in a hurry. I wanted to play some Christmas music to make it a real Christmas Eve but K. refused categorically. Only later in the evening I could talk my dad into playing White Christmas once. Oh, and in the end of the day we all got in the cars and went to the beach where S. had prepared a decent fireworks. Just add snow... and it could have been real Christmas.

But more than anything it was a celebration of life. My mum is just in the middle of her treatment so we still don't know whether things will turn to better or to worse for her. And although the shadow of that bloody illness was hanging over us also that evening we still managed to make it a joyous evening, yes, a real celebration of life. We were thankful for each day and year she's been with us, and thankful for all the coming days she will still be with us.

Happy birthday, dear mum. I'm enormously blessed to have such mother. Just don't leave us, not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment