10/10/2013

Two days ago I sat around a table and had a breakfast with a whole bunch of Tartu's pastors from different denominations. Adventists, Baptists, Lutherans, representatives of different charismatic churches, etc. Eight men and me, to be precise: suit, suit, sweater, suit, suit, suit, alb, and uhmm, a polka dot blouse. The initial and natural instinct was to ask the ground to swallow me - especially when they started the meeting with a collective staring contest. You know, all these minority issues suddenly seemed to come alive and line up to be on the agenda. All that stuff I've already had to deal with while studying theology (even to the point of talking about it to the Lady in a counseling room). But then I was like, no, I have absolutely no reason to feel awkward, and neither do I have any reason to make all these fine gentlemen and colleagues feel awkward. I introduced myself shortly, two sentences about my family history, four about my education (approving humming on the background, some jaws dropping), and one about how glad I was to share my calling with them. And then I experienced a warm and heart-felt welcome from Tartu's pastors. No more staring, no awkwardness.

And after the meeting I thought, this is all God's doing. He has created me, and He has called me. It's quite simple really. And there is no need for me to unnaturally create an issue where there is none. And neither is there any need for me to feel 'oppressed'. I am who God wanted me to be. Have I experienced misunderstanding or unequal treatment? Heck, yeah. But why should I let this get on the way of my calling or my relationships? Why should I let it poison my life? Or why should I make men feel awkward simply because they've been created to be men and ministers of God? No reason, I tell you, no reason. For God's doing can't be abolished by man's opinion.

Sometimes (not always though) these minority issues really aren't as tragic as we think they are.

Next meeting with my fellow ministers in the end of November - I think I'll wear pink. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm proud to have women like you as my colleagues :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thank you so much, Tom! I'm proud to belong to the family of ministers. :)

    ReplyDelete