6/01/2013

Weird things happen.

I've always thought I'm good at passing judgement when it comes to my own doings and achievements. Thinking that I'm able to evaluate my stuff objectively, including academic stuff. Uhmm, wrong. Sometimes I really have no clue about how I'm doing. The first signs of this strange phenomenon emerged sometime last semester. It must have been in October when I started writing my dissertation and J. came to work in the library for a few weeks and I remember how every time I needed a break from my writing I went downstairs and cried on his shoulder (figuratively, that is) and came up with a whole book of lamentations about how Dr V. is going to shoot me and make me write it all over again and so on. Well, the feedback I got from Dr V. was... rather different from what I was expecting.

And the same weird thing has happened again with one of my essays from last semester. It was the last paper I wrote and I was tired by the time I got to that paper, to say the least. And honestly, I was aiming for a pass. I swear. I didn't want anything else but to get this paper done. But when I asked the department secretary for my grades last week, she told me I had got 70+ for that paper. WHAT? First I thought that she had made a mistake and wrote accidentally number 7 instead of 5. But then the same grade appeared in e:Vision a few days later. WHAT WHAT?

Now I have a new theory. Somewhere in Turnitin there must be a little hairy creature who every now and then has mercy on stressed students (especially on those who have to teach Greek at the same time) and who writes new essays for them and submits them and lets them get an undeserved 70+ for a paper they've barely had time to work on.

This is by far the most plausible explanation I can come up with.

Now I'm working on the Dr V. thingy. There must be an explanation, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment