6/23/2013

I take back my words about The Brothers Karamazov. I'm far from being done with the book because I realised that it has two volumes. I had only finished the first one. So I have another 700 pages to go. Sigh.

The chapter where brother Ivan tells the story about a medieval inquisitor who condemns Jesus to death because of His life and because of how it contradicts the teaching of the church blew me away. I mean, what an idea! I knew I could expect something really really deep from that famous chapter but it was way more than I could ask from it. If it was up to me, I'd make that chapter mandatory for all the church leaders out there to read. Everyone seriously involved in church should think of Jesus' desert temptations and how the church over its history has continually said yes to the temptations which Jesus rejected. The temptations of miracles, mysteries, and authority... And thus the church has every right to condemn Jesus for getting it all wrong. Oh my, brother Ivan sure is a genius.

But I have one problem with the book. It's this continuous drama and hysteria that makes me really tired. It's like, someone is constantly hysteric or pathetic, moods change in a blink of an eye. I went to see a Russian opera about two weeks ago. Rimsky-Korsakov's The Tsar's Bride. Beautiful music! But again, what a drama. Someone gets stabbed, someone gets poisoned, someone loses their mind... And I don't know if it's a Russian thing or 19th century thing. Or just a general human thing. But it makes me so tired in my head.

I hate drama.

2 comments:

  1. Ma vaatasin hiljuti Anna Kareninat ja see oli ka nii masendav. Olin alati arvanud, et see on ilus armastuslugu, aga vota napust! Kui ma seda R-le mainisin, ytels ta kohe - Muidugi! Mis sa siis motlesid? See on ju Venemaa 19 sajandil!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See on vist jah nende kahe - Venemaa ja 19. sajandi - kombinatsioon. Ja just eriti naised on need, kes neis raamatutes mingid õudsed hüsteerikud on. Ma olen sellest juba täitsa tüdinenud.

    ReplyDelete