6/16/2013

I saw an ad somewhere on Facebook last week - Food Bank has a big food collecting weekend in Estonia and all volunteers are invited to help. It took me exactly two minutes to decide and to sign up for the event. So this afternoon I spent three hours at the grocery store in a big shopping mall, distributing Food Bank fliers and answering questions and encouraging people to buy something extra that they could donate to Food Bank. Gosh, they were truly the most intense three hours I can remember. But it was all well worth the sweat and effort. After our three hour shift me and two other volunteers had four big trolleys full of food. I mean, they were literally food mountains there. I was so touched by the generosity and goodness of people I almost got emosh.

And then, although I could have just go home, I helped FB people to load the food mountains on a van and then unload the van at their office, to sort and weigh and pack and everything. And I started talking to the Food Bank's local coordinator and she was very surprised to hear I'm a theologian and about to start working in a church. And then she said, 'Well, we have these food collecting events every now and then. Do you think you could put a little volunteer team together in your church and come help us some more in the future?' And I was like, 'YEAH! ABSOLUTELY!' So we exchanged email addresses and compliments and went on our way being friends.

This is pure awesomeness, I tell you! Of course we're going to help Food Bank in the future. I mean, if not us, who else?

And standing there, looking at people who donated and who didn't, who paid attention and who didn't, I decided - my kids are going to grow up, learning that giving is just as important as receiving. No, that giving is more important than receiving. And that giving is essential, like breathing or blinking your eyes. That giving makes you a human. Yes, my kids will learn that one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment